Download and run the vatSys installer, which can be found here.
The vatSys installer will download and install the any missing required Microsoft .NET Framework and Visual Studio Redistributables.
In addition to the required core files, vatSys will create a new folder in My Documents that will be the home of all user customisable data (Navigraph Navdata, Profiles, Sounds).
Select a Profile
The first time you run vatSys, you will be asked to select a profile. A profile for Australia is included by default. Select the desired Profile.XML file when prompted.
vatSys will then load all the data associated with that profile.
The Main Menu Bar
Settings | Windows | Maps | Tools | Messages | Info
The menu bar is used to access and configure vatSys. The first menu you will wish to use is Settings.
Configure your audio by selecting devices for your Headset, Speakers and Microphone in the Audio Setup Window:
Settings -> Audio
Select a Position
Each “Air Situation Display” is linked to a particular control position. Positions are defined in the profile data and make your life easier by loading the appropriate Maps, Frequencies, Callsign and more.
To select a position:
Settings -> Position -> (Position Name)
Connect to VATSIM
You are now ready to connect to VATSIM:
Settings -> Connection
Connecting as Observer (_OBS)
In the Connection Window:
1. Enter a logical callsign such as your initials followed by _OBS (eg example WS_OBS). Note this is a dropdown but can have any text entered into it.
2. Set your position Facility and Rating as OBS.
3. Set your Range to 300.
To receive audio, ensure you have completed the Configure Audio steps above, then in the VSCS window:
1. Click Setup.
2. Click Add Freq.
3. Enter the full callsign of the station you wish to hear according to "login" in this list and click Add. A button will appear on the left of the VSCS.
4. Click the button that appeared in step 3 and click Receive.
5. Repeat steps 2-5 for any other frequencies you wish to listen to.
Be sure to comply with the VATSIM Code of Conduct at all times.
Documentation can be found here.
Content courtesy of Jake Saw and the vatSys team